Providing information on optimizing antibiotic use for the ID Physician or Pharmacist

Welcome! The purpose of this blog is to critically review new information on antibiotics of relevance to hospital based ID Physicians and Pharmacists. My emphasis is to get beyond data from FDA and EMA registration studies, to data that will really make a difference to ID practice. I don't care if a new antibiotic has data for complicated intra-abdominal infection, but really want to know if it will work in a sick patient with bloodstream infection due to a multiresistant organism.

We are entering a fortunate time in which a host of new antibiotics against multiresistant organisms will soon be available. I want to look beyond "the spin" to ensure we use the best antibiotic for each individual patient. If that is a generic and "cheap" antibiotic, let's go for it. If it is a new and expensive antibiotic, let's critically examine the data.

One of my interests is going beyond observational studies to ID physician/pharmacist led RCTs that are going to answer the questions we need for our practice. There are now a number of examples where this is occurring. I want to use this blog as a forum for discussing these results and for proposing new RCTs.

I hope you will find what I write to be of relevance to your use of antibiotics.

Happy reading, and enjoy thinking about your next antibiotic prescription!


Comments

  1. Good to find this blog. My primary focus as an anesthesiologist is intraoperative care, but on occasion I moonlight in our tiny (3 bed ICU) when coverage is tight. I sit on our Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee where we have stressed responsible abx stewardship. I look forward to your thoughts as our antibiotic choices broaden!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ampicillin and ceftriaxone as first line therapy for enterococcal endocarditis - I don't think so!

The death of colistin for KPC producers - part 4